- There was a study done that suggests a lack of exercise is now causing as many deaths as smoking across the world.
- Sitting for more than 3 hours per day can cut 2 years off a person’s life expectancy!
- 1 can of pop a day increases your chance of getting type 2 diabetes by 22%.
- McDonald’s Caesar salad is more fattening than their hamburger.
- A father’s diet before conception plays a crucial role in a child’s health.
- On average, people who complain more live longer! Releasing the tension increases immunity and boosts their health.
- A half hour of physical activity 6 days a week is linked to 40% lower risk of early death.
- Americans consume 12.5 teaspoons more sugar each day than the American Heart Associations recommends.
- In terms of your health, not how you look or smell, you only really have to shower once or twice a week.
- 5% of adults worldwide have diabetes. That’s almost twice as much as it was in 1980.
- According to research done at Yale, people who read books live an average of almost 2 years longer than those who do not read at all.
- Women who use a hormonal form of birth control are more likely to be diagnosed with depression compared to those who don’t.
- You can tweak your metabolic health by turning down the bedroom thermostat a few degrees.
- 80% of people living in rural areas in developing countries rely on traditional plant based medicines for basic healthcare.
- Six-pack abs indicate nothing about your strength, your flexibility, your stamina, your speed or your overall level of health.
- A study of over 11 000 children determined that an overly hygienic environment increases the risk of eczema and asthma.
- Worldwide, people consume 500 extra calories a day from sugar, which is roughly the amount of calories to gain 1 pound a week.
Personally, I really feel like the majority of people in North America have no idea how unhealthy they are. Confusing and conflicting info on nutrition and health from the media causes a lot of the confusion. I thought it might be interesting to share some interesting and disturbing health facts.
Some Startling Info:
- Less than 5% of adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day.
- 25% of North American children spend 4 hours or more watching TV daily instead of being physically active.
- In a 2012 study, 52% of the Americans polled believed doing their taxes was easier than figuring out how to eat healthy.
- At least 1 in 4 people eat some type of fast food every day.
- Americans consume 31% more packaged food than fresh food.
- In the US, 10 billion donuts are consumed each year.
- North Americans are the biggest consumer of weight loss products in the world. But they still lead the world in obesity and unhealthy lifestyle.
- The percentage of North American children and adolescents who are considered overweight or obese has tripled since 1970.
- Several chronic conditions can be controlled and avoided with healthy lifestyle and exercise. These include cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, infertility, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, stress, and many more.
- Being overweight and obese is a real problem. 250 million Americans fall into this category and 360 000 Americans die every year from diseases directly related to obesity and unhealthy lifestyle.
- Over1/3 of American children are overweight or obese. Because of this, this generation of children will be the first to live shorter lives than their parents.
This Is Scary Stuff!
We all have an obligation to take care of our health. It’s actually quite easy! Get active for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times per week. Be conscious of what you’re putting in your mouth. Read labels, ask questions, when in doubt don’t eat it! If man made it, don’t eat it! If it’s advertised on TV it’s likely not healthy. I’m here to help so leave a comment below or message me if you need some guidance.