Even the healthy get sick once in a while. Despite your best efforts sometimes you let your guard down for just a second and a nasty bug gets in causing a cold or flu. Luckily you can fight the common cold naturally.
How To Fight The Common Cold And Flu
We all are exposed to bugs and viruses each and every day. So why is it that some people seem to get sick all the time while others rarely get sick and when they do it’s just a mild form of what everyone else got? There are a few key lifestyle factors that impact if and how often we have a cold or flu.
A strong immune system is a must for fighting off all the potential invaders we encounter each day. If your immune system is too busy/overactive fighting off food sensitivities, inflammation, or attacking your own cells (autoimmunity), it can’t do the job it is meant to do which is fight off bugs and viruses.
For a really strong immune system you need optimum nutrition, proper stress management, 7-9 hours of quality sleep, and regular exercise.
Tips For Strengthening Your Immune System
- Exercise 3-5 times per week.
- Avoid inflammatory foods such as sugar, dairy, soy, corn and grains.
- Manage stress with exercise, deep breathing, meditation, yoga or whatever calming activity works for you.
- Aim to get 7-9 hours of sleep every night.
- Bonus Tip: incorporate homemade bone broth into your diet several times a week.
What To Do If You’re Already Sick
- Avoid grains and sugar. These foods will only make the inflammation you have worse and feed any bugs in your system.
- Drink homemade bone broth. Now is the time to drink that broth. Bone broth is high in gelatin, collagen, and minerals that will soothe your stomach and aid in healing the gut which is where the majority of your immune system is.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated will help regulate body temperature, remove waste, flush toxins, and aid the body in its natural healing processes.
- Try herbal tea. Look for teas that are anti-inflammatory and soothing for a sore throat.
- Use Oil of Oregano. Tastes a bit nasty but really works! Oregano is a natural antibiotic. Read the directions on the label, but generally you add 4 drops to some water and drink it back. Because it is a natural antibiotic it is important to only use it for a short time, so just for the duration of your illness and you’ll want to restore healthy gut flora. Be sure to get some probiotics in pill form or better yet by eating foods high in probiotics during and/or after you’re finished taking your oil of oregano. If you’re using probiotics at the same time as you’re taking oil of oregano be sure to not use them at the same time. Do not take oil of oregano if pregnant.
- Probiotics help to restore healthy gut flora. Remember most of your immune system is located in your gut.
- Sleep as much as you can. Take a day or two off of work so you don’t spread your germs and sleep as much as possible. Your body needs to rest in order to heal itself.
Kick That Bug In The Butt And Get On With Your Life!
No one likes to get sick. It ruins pretty much everything and saps your energy. When everyone around you starts getting sick, take the preventive approach mentioned above to lessen your chances of getting sick. Better yet, live a healthy and preventative lifestyle the majority of the time!